Friday, June 8, 2012

DIY

Who needs to hire a decorator when I can do it myself?? Who needs a corporate job when I'm going to make it on my own?

Well at least that's how I feel right now. Give me a few more weeks and we'll see if I feel the same. My dad got a glass cutter from ebay a few weeks ago because we've come up with a few neat ideas for wedding decorations. Luke and I started working on cutting the bottoms of wine bottles off. My main decoration is wine bottles. They're readily available and fairly cheap to come by. Especially when you and all  of your friends loooove a good wine night. Plus I think the colored glass is going to look so pretty on simple tablecloths with candlelight. That's my basic idea anyways. Back to my original story, Luke and I started cutting them and I was actually surprised with how well it worked. It takes a while to get going, because you have to score the bottles with the cutter, then tap the score from the inside, and then it's back and forth between boiling water and ice water until it finally cracks free. Of course, the edges will need to be smoothed, but voila!, I have special pieces for my tables. I will post you some pictures once we finish a few more. I had my first successful week of ebay sales this week. It's so simple! While doing all of this moving around, I've collected bags of things I need to get rid of. Pocketbooks, shoes, dresses, home accessories, all things I've rarely worn or used (if I ever did at all!) and will most likely never use at all. Rather than just throw them away, I might as well try and recoup some of the money I've spent of them over the years. My mom also wants me to try and sell some of her crafts. She has amazing talent and can make or has made almost anything over the years. She was rifted from her teaching job again this year (laid off), and seriously doubts that she will get her job back in the fall. Since we're both a little unemployed, lets figure out what it is we really want to do with our lives. What have we got to lose?


No comments:

Post a Comment